Farming coverage

Farms and ranches employing waged workers who are not business owners, or family members of business owners, are required to have a WCB account. Register for your account today.

If you have any questions about who you have to cover, call us at 1-866-922-9221 or email us at

Farm workers can learn more about the workers' compensation system here.

Reporting your assessable earnings

  • What you need to know when reporting your assessable earnings on your annual return.

Learn about coverage for farms and ranches

  • What is workers' compensation?
  • Who do you have to cover?
  • What are the benefits and cost of coverage?

Find out what to do if your worker is injured

  • What are your responsibilities for medical treatment and reporting?
  • How can you be prepared to plan your worker's return to work?

Answers to common questions from farm and ranch owners

  • Questions and answers about coverage for workers, family members and subcontractors.

We have developed industry classifications for farming operations to make sure we're grouping businesses together that have similar operations and risks. Below are the industry classifications as well as each industry's premium rate for 2019.

Industry Description 2019 Rate
(per $100 of assessable earnings)
Agri-tourism farms, greenhouses/market gardens, mushroom producers/bait farms $1.70
Apiaries, fishing/fish or fur farms, goat/sheep producers, hog producers, poultry/egg producers $1.75
Forage & peat moss processing, hay/grain/crop farming, harvesting/baling-custom $2.25
Beef producers, dairy farms, elk/bison producers, feed lots, livestock auctions/stockyards, llama/alpaca producers, riding academies/horse stables $2.97

Additional resources