Occupational Injury Service (OIS) is designed for people who are hurt at work. It helps employers and workers by giving injured workers quick access to medical services at specialized clinics throughout the province.
Benefits of OIS
OIS offers quick access to treatment and support for in-depth return-to-work plans. Quick treatment and a safe and early return to work can reduce claims costs and can help you lower your premiums. The specific services offered by OIS include:
- Fast access to a physician with a background in occupational medicine and WCB-Alberta training (target wait time of 30 minutes or less).
- Same-day completion and submission of reports.
- Fast-tracked diagnostic and treatment services for injured workers.
- Return-to-work plan development.
- Retention of skilled and productive workers.
- Coordination of assessment and treatment communication.
- Follow-up support.
The fees associated with using the OIS clinic are applied to the WCB claim that is established as a result of any work-related injury. While the cost of a first visit at an OIS clinic is higher than the cost of a non-OIS clinic visit, the physicians' expertise in work-related injuries at these clinics consistently results in lower overall claim costs.
The fee for your first OIS visit is $299.29* and includes:
- fitness-for-work reporting – documentation from a physician about your worker’s current physical abilities and any activities he/she may be restricted from as a result of the workplace injury.
- a planning conversation with a physician and your worker to discuss the claim and return-to-work options.
*OIS fees are subject to change.
How to access the program
- Visit OIS clinics and doctors for more information on services, to find an OIS clinic and to sign up. If you still have questions, please contact us.
For more OIS fact sheets and posters, visit OIS resources.