Learn how to formalize a Modified Work Program
Put a policy in writing
Reflect your organization's commitment to employees by offering modified
work. This can help an injured worker's recovery and facilitate early return
- Ensure your workers know he or she is expected to participate and you
will assist him or her in getting back to work.
- Make the program flexible so it can accommodate a variety of different
- Make the program available for work and non-work related injuries.
- Compile and update documents required to track your injured worker's
progress. (Sample documents you can use include: Offer
of Modified Work (pdf, 23KB) agreement, Physical
Demands Analysis form (pdf, 182KB) and Fitness
for Work form (pdf, 30KB))
Identify modified work opportunities in your company
- Ask for input from workers on modified work opportunities.
- Develop a list of tasks that could be done by an injured worker (Focus
on duties that can be done and not the type of injury).
- Ensure the modified work is of value to the organization and meets the
worker's medical restrictions and physical ability.
- Use outside resources to help identify modified work within the organization.
(Work with employers in your industry to develop modified work ideas.)
- Observe job tasks and document modifications that could accommodate
an injured worker. (Reduced hours of work, lighter lifting, etc.)
WCB-Alberta can arrange for a rehabilitation therapist to help you.
Educate workers about modified work practices
- Ensure all workers understand your modified
work philosophy and its benefits.
Educate management about the needs of injured
workers who are returning to modified work.
- Ensure your workers are aware that the Workers'
Compensation Act prohibits WCB-Alberta from issuing total disability benefits
when an injured worker can resume employment, even if it is modified work.
Follow modified work policies and procedures
- Modified work performed past the day of the accident must be reported
to WCB-Alberta, even if there is no time lost or loss of earnings.
- Ensure all modified work offers are medically approved and documentation
is provided to the adjudicator or case manager.
- Work with WCB-Alberta to develop an effective return to modified work
plan for your worker.
- Maintain regular contact with your worker, their doctor, and WCB-Alberta.